The colour of the wine indicates how many healthy nutrients known as polyphenols the drink contains. “Red has more than white, and white more than beer,” said Dr. Miguel Ángel Martínez González of the University of Navarra in Spain.
Wine is a source of polyphenols — abundant antioxidants that help prevent an array of health problems, including cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and neurodegenerative diseases. Because many factors affect the polyphenol content in different wines, such as the ripeness of the grape, processing and environmental factors, the polyphenol content of wines widely varies. Some nutrition research, however, points to which wines have the highest polyphenol levels.
Although both red and white wine contain polyphenols, red wine contains higher levels of polyphenols because it is made using the entire grape — skin and seeds included — while white wine is made using only the free-running grape juice. The process by which red wine is made allows more polyphenols to diffuse into the wine, giving red wine 10 times the polyphenol content of white wine. So choose a darker red wine for higher polyphenol content.
11 Astonishing Benefits Of Red Wine:
- Helps to reduce risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
- Improves physical performance and muscle strength. It also mimics cardiovascular enhancements similar to exercise
- Protection against cancer: Tannin prevents cardiovascular diseases and decrease the number of cancer cells
- Red wine has also anti-aging properties, so it can extend the length of life and prevent the growth of fat cells. Therefore wine makes you look younger and slimmer
- Red wine cuts down on the inflammation and tissue damage cause by periodontal , or gum, disease
- Reduces the risk of heart diseases by decreasing the risk of clot formation, lowers blood glucose and sharpens memory
- Reduces risks of gallstones and kidney stones
- Boosts resistance of allergies
- Helps to prevent diabetes and hypertension
- Resveratrol in red wine prevents hair loss and helps hair regrowth
- Red wine is very rich in amino acids which boost skin renewal and fight the harmful rays of the sun to prevent sun damage
While red wine and chocolate won’t save your life, separately or in combination, they can make your life more pleasurable, and that in turn helps reduce stress.
"And wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." — Alexander Pope